Veggie Fried Rice
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
1 tablespoon butter (or ghee)
2 egg (beaten)
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other neutral flavor oil, divided)
1 cup white onion (finely chopped)
1 cup mushrooms (fresh, any kind, sliced)
1/2 cup carrots (thinly sliced with a mandolin into rounds)
1/2 cup red bell pepper (finely diced)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups bok choy (or Napa cabbage or baby spinach, chopped)
3 cups long grain rice (cooked)
1/4 cup scallions (minced)
2 tablespoons tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or sriracha sauce, + extra for serving)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium nonstick skillet.
- As soon as it bubbles, add eggs, swirling the pan so that they cover the bottom and form a flat sheet of egg. Cook until set without stirring, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool. Slice the egg into long ribbons and set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and when hot, add 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with eggs.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pan; add mushrooms and cook, stirring, over high heat until golden brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with eggs and onions. Add another 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and add carrots, bell pepper, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots are almost tender. Transfer to the bowl with the eggs and other vegetables.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan; when oil is hot, add bok choy and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the rice to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice begins to turn golden brown around the edges. Add the scallions, Tiger Sauce, tamari sauce, sesame oil and chili garlic sauce and toss well. Fold the eggs and vegetables into the rice and continue cooking another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with extra Tiger Sauce and chili garlic sauce on the side, if desired.
DJPJan 11, 2022
Anything with Tiger Sauce is delicious. This is delicious AND quick & easy.